(Photo Courtesy of the Roxborough- Manayunk Patch)
Just because it is winter and negative degrees outside, doesn’t mean there aren’t fun things to do in Philadelphia! Here are some things that may get you out of the house and away from deep couch sitting.
1. Manayunk Mummer’s Parade in February. Bundle up and take a walk. It was cancelled for cold but this weekend the parade is on. For the first time ever, the mummer’s are doing a reprise in Manayunk. The pubs will have specials, you will get the chance to see people outside again, and it will be easy to take a break and get warm in a shop. Learn more about the parade!
2. Philadelphia Flower Show. You can’t really turn on the radio or search online in this area without hearing about the Philadelphia Flower Show. People crave spring and the Flower Show hits us at the right time. This year’s theme is all about Disney movies so grab a date, your children, or whomever and head down to the Philadelphia Convention Center to see some horticultural beauty in the middle of winter. Book your tickets.
3. The Art of the Brick, an awesome Lego exhibit at the Franklin Institute for all ages. Head to “The Franklin” for this special limited time exhibit that shows those famous Lego building blocks as you have never seen them before. Adults will enjoy seeing Legos set to strategic formation of famous paintings and children will enjoy the activity area where they can build with an unlimited amount of Legos.
You could even get a CityPass and hit the Aquarium or the Zoo this winter.
4. Indoor swimming … there are many indoor swimming pools in the area. Try your local gym, school, college or YMCA. There is nothing like stepping into a warm heated pool to relax your cold muscles and soothe your dried out winter skin. The kids will like it too! You may be able to participate in a free trial class at your local gym or YMCA or even sign up for free pool time for a small fee at a location near you with a pool.
5. Dinner at a happening restaurant. There are thousands of fabulous restaurants in Philadelphia but why not try a new one you haven’t been to before to beat those winter blues. Find out which two restaurants were just nominated by GQ magazine as the best restaurants of 2015 and a great place place to dine in Philly. Check them out.