Buying an older home can come with a lot of joy and a lot of headaches. But the headaches do not necessarily mean that an older home isn’t for you. Many of our clients enjoy the charm and characteristics of older homes and are bored with newer builds. When it comes to home buying, everyone has different tastes and that’s what makes the searching so much fun.
Here is a list of some important things to look for when buying an older home.
- Find out how old is the heating system and if it will need to be replaced.
- Check to see if there are any property line issues. People in the past were much more lax about letting their neighbors build fences or garages over the property line. Today, this can become a headache if you choose to resell.
- Make sure that there are no structural issues with the foundation or walls.
- Find out what year the roof was last replaced.
- Make sure that there are no cracks or holes in the septic or sewer lines.
- Keep a look out for knob and tube wiring in the home.
Of course there are other concerns that you may have with buying an older home. To find out more contact us at Real Estate Around Philly here http://realestatearoundphilly.com/contact-us/